Thursday, December 11, 2008

Pneumonia!!! Aaaacckkk!

Hacking, coughing, runny noses and fevers. This seems to be the norm at our house this winter. Germs are running rampant at Sonny's school and at our house. Sonny caught a chest cold from school (we are assuming) and his chest cold has turned into walking pneumonia! Which basically is pneumonia but not severe enough for him to be hospitalized. Thank God for that! And of course the day that Sonny was taken to the dr and diagnosed is the same day I woke up with a scratchy throat and a cough. GREAT! Now I have caught the same chest cold that escalated into Sonny's pneumonia. And last night, guess who started coughing??? You guessed it, Lexi did.

So, Sonny is under doctor's orders to not go back to school until Monday. He's happy about that, cause that means he gets to stay home with grandpa all day! Yay for grandparents.

Despite all the sickness in our house, our spirits are surprisingly very high considering the severity of the sickness. It's the Christmas season and our days are filled with questions about Santa Claus and what we are going to ask him for christmas, construction paper chains to count down the days until christmas and a general thankfulness that this pneumonia is not as severe as it could have been.

I heard on the news this morning that a 4th grader in Henrico county, VA (not far from us at all) died yesterday of complications from pneumonia. I also heard that a young boy that lives across the street from our baby sitter was hospitalized due to complications from pneumonia and came close to dying. So I continue to count my blessings that my children's immune systems are strong and will fight off this bout of illness.

2 comments:

LeMira said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Lisa. We've been battling colds and nastiness for a couple of weeks. I hope you all get better soon.

Anne-Marie said...

'Tis the season! I know everyone will be okay, but we'll certainly be keeping you guys in our thoughts. I hope you are all feeling better soon. Tell Sonny that he only has another 12 days before his Riley comes to see him. He has to be all better by then.